[b-greek] Re: The J in Jesus

From: Jack Kilmon (jkilmon@historian.net)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 01:32:15 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Vincent <bob@rbvincent.com>
To: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@historian.net>; Biblical Greek
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2001 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: [b-greek] Re: The J in Jesus

> Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@historian.net> wrote:
> > I believe the correct roots are "Who help is YHWH." The name
> > that reflects what you are translating would be "YESHA (save)-YAHU"
> > in other words, Isaiah.
> Dear Jack,
> Jesus was a fairly common Jewish name, identical to Joshua. God revealed
> himself through many words in the Old Testament, such as El Shaddai and El
> Elyon, but one stood out clearly as his proper name: four letters from the
> Hebrew alphabet, YHWH, almost certainly pronounced as Yahweh or Yahvhe,
> never as Jehovah. This name was always seen as very sacred and powerful
> therefore never to be used lightly.
> No one ever dared to name a child God or Yahweh -- the very thought was
> height of blasphemy -- but throughout biblical history, godly people gave
> their children names that reflected God's attributes and ownership. For
> example, Elisha, which probably contracts two words, El (meaning God) and
> yeshua (meaning salvation or deliverance), means "God is salvation."
> Many times people incorporated God's proper name, Yahweh, as part of the
> name. Elijah is comprised of El (God), with the first person singular
> suffix, i (my), and Yahweh (contracted to Yah): "My God is Yahweh."
> Joshua is formed by contracting Yahweh with yeshua: "Yahweh is salvation,"
> an appropriate name for a deliverer, such as the son of Nun. Before the
> Babylonian captivity, Joshua's name in Hebrew was pronounced Yehoshua (Yeh
> HO [as in no] shoo ah); afterwards it was written Yashua (Ya [as in day]
> SHOO ah). In Greek and Latin it is (pronounced YA [as in day] soos),
> written Iesus in Latin.

As you know, theophorics were very common in pre-exilic times. The
against pronouncing the Shem haMeforash became very strong in the 2nd
temple period. Y'shua is an Aramaic name which is a truncated form of
the earlier pre-exilic form. The Yod (voiced with tsere) is all that is
from Yaho (YHWH). $w( or SHUA is denominated from $w(h meaning
"a cry for help," a hapax legomenon found at Ps 5:3 and the form to
"save" or "deliver" is y$( which, as I said previously can be found in the
of Isaiah, y$(yhw or YESHa-YAhu (God saves). That the name Yeshua means
"saviour" is driven more by theology than linguistics, IMO, and the
of Y'shua as was Yehoshua was "Whose help is YHWH"