[b-greek] META CARAS

From: Wayne Leman (wayne_leman@sil.org)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 21:30:41 EDT

> Interesting--I assume you're referring to the little categorization on
> 377. My inclination here is to think that he's aware that "attendant
> circumstances" is the pigeonhole into which such items as META CARAS are
> generally shoved, but that the semantic function here really is rather
> "manner."

Carl, on p. 161 of GGBTB Wallace also notes:

"a. Definition

The dative substantive denotes the manner in which the action of the verb is
accomplished. ... The manner can be an accompanying action, attitude,
emotion, or circumstance. Hence, such a dative noun routinely has an
abstract quality. This usage is relatively common, being supplanted by EN +
dative (or META + gen.) in Koine Greek."

It seems to me that META CARAS is simply encoding the semantics of
accompanying emotion, that is, telling the emotional manner in which the
action of a verb was carried out. To my mind, accompanying circumstance
wouldn't fit here since CARAS is not treated as a verbal notion in Greek
syntax, and when I hear the word circumstance I think of something which is
"verby." But I might be missing the technical usage by Greek grammarians of
the term circumstance and viewing the term through the lens of other

BTW, I assume you have not missed the fact that the word "circumstance"
itself contains within it the Latin preposition CUM which you feel may have
influenced the Greek here.

Wayne Leman
Bible Translation discussion list: