[b-greek] Re: What To Do With PNEUMATIKOS

From: Jay Anthony Adkins (Jadkins26438@cs.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 09:08:57 EDT

Iver Larsen wrote in part:

>The context of chapter 12 as well as chapter 14 makes it clear
>that the topic is spiritual gifts as they are discussed in these
chapters.

>From my perspective as a professional Bible translator, a translation
that
>translates PNEUMATIKWN in v. 1 as "spiritual things" or "spiritual
people"
>indicates a lack of awareness of the importance of context for meaningful
>translation.

Frank Gee responded at length refuting this idea. He spoke of the
immediate context not allowing the use of ‘spiritual gifts.' To this I
would also add Gordon Fee's comments in his book ‘God's Empowering
Presence', wherein he notes that chapter 13 is part of the context of
12-14 and argues that this greater context will not allow the use of
‘spiritual gifts.'

In either case, both argue from context in support of PNEUMATIKWN in 12:1
as meaning ‘spiritual matters' or ‘spiritual things.' This shows no "lack
of awareness of the importance of context for meaningful translation."

Sola Grata,
Jay Adkins
Always Under Grace!