[b-greek] ti in Luke 16.2

From: Ross Durham (rhdurham@cgsonline.org)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 12:24:51 EDT

I have a question about tis in Luke 16.2. In casual reading, I translated
<ti touto akouvw peri sou> as: why am I hearing this about you? Then
checking translations, they all translate it: what is this I hear about you?
There is not a huge difference between the two, but I can't see why the
"why" (adverbial tis) reading is wrong or even not preferred. Obviously
touto would have to be taken as an accusative object of akouw, which is
common for a thing as object (BDAG akouw 1.b.a/g; BDF 173). The context of
the servant's fate already being established (16.2) would seem to support
"why" (the situation is established--"how could you have done this") rather
than "what" (investigative--"what did you do"). Of BDAG's citations Acts
14.15, Luke 6.46, seem very similar in construction.

Sincerely,

Ross Durham