[b-greek] Re: What Do We Make of CWRIS and ANDRES?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 15:21:22 EDT

At 1:44 AM +1000 10/19/01, B. Ward Powers wrote:
>Is there another explanation of the meaning? Because CWRIS does not always
>mean "besides, in addition to". It certainly does not have such a meaning
>in Hebrews 9:28, where we are told that Christ will appear a second time
>CWRIS hAMARTIAS, "apart from sin". Sometimes (as here) it can mean "in the
>absence of", the opposite of "in the presence of". Similarly in Hebrews
>11:40, "God had planned something better for us, so that they should not be
>perfected CWRIS hHMWN". Which does not mean "in addition to us". And 1
>Corinthians 4:8, "You have begun to reign as kings (if taken as an
>inceptive aorist; otherwise, have reigned as kings) CWRIS hHMWN". Etc.

I don't think CWRIS ever means quite "besides, in addition to" although
that may be implicit. Fundamentally the meaning is "apart" as an adverb and
"apart from" as a preposition construed with an ablatival genitive. Even
sense II 3 in LSJ has to be converted to yield the sense "in addition to
..." This may seem to be a quibble, but it did seem to me that the primary
sense here was misstated.

I also suspect that what Mt means in the passages involved with CWRIS
GUNAIKWN KAI PAIDIWN is the count is a round number and that it is only
meant to include adult males.

LSJ at Perseus:

chôris , Adv., also chôri , q. v.: (v. chêros):--separately, apart, .
II. as Prep. c. gen., without, A.Ag.926, etc.; without the help or will of,
ch. Zênos S.Tr.1002 (lyr.): after its case, ponou ch. Id.El.915 , cf.
Theon. Sm.p.1H.
2. separate from, apart from, ch. athanatôn Pi.O.9.41 ; ch. anthrôpôn
stibou S.Ph.487 ; chôris ôikistai theôn E.Hec.2 ; ch. ommatôn emôn
Id.Or.272 ; hê psuchê ch. tou sômatos Pl.Phd.67a , etc.
3. independently of, without reckoning, Hdt.1.93, 106, 6.58; ch. te genous
ouk estin hotôi meizona moiran neimaim' ê soi A.Pr.293 (anap.); ch. de tês
doxês oude dikaion moi dokei . . Pl.Ap.35b.
4. differently from, otherwise than, ch. murêrôn teucheôn pneôn A.Fr.180.5
; ch. dêpou sophia estin andreias Pl.La.195a , cf. D.19.13.