[b-greek] Luke 22:38 - It is enough!

From: Wayne Leman (wayne_leman@sil.org)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 11:27:11 EDT

Neal, unfortunately, this is one of those exegetical questions which cannot
be answered just by reference to the Greek. The Greek IKANON ESTIN can mean
either of the exegetical options you cited (and perhaps more). It's not a
question of the syntax of the Greek, per se, but one of trying to figure out
what was referred to by the language. And that is left to exegetes and
commentators. I translated this passage not too long ago, for a tribal
group, and still don't know for sure what the Greek actually referred to in
real life.

Enough! :-)
Wayne
-----