[b-greek] Acts 1:7

From: Bryan Rocine (brocine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 16:01:36 EDT

Dear friends,

A little translation question about OUS hO PATHR EQETO EN TH

Is "within" or "by," (or some other choice) the translation
of EN that most precisely represents the notion of the
Greek? I can accept that we do not know, if that is your

Why might I care? While I would not like theology to
influence the decision about how to translate EN, I see that
such the decision, if it can be made certainly, may have
some small theological import in this verse.

I have already found that most modern translations consider
EN here as indicating a relationship of instrumentality,
something like "...by his own authority." I have also
found, after searching through other examples of TIQHMI +
EN that this string otherwise expresses putting something
into a place (Acts 5:25) or sphere of control (2 Cor 5:19).

Thanx much! Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church