[b-greek] Topic Prominence Marking: Jn 19b-27

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 17:08:41 EST

This is a new thread, a branch from:
Re: foreground & background, boundary markers-Longacre'sModel

I wrote:

> It seems that if Subject(agent) encoding is
> considered in isolation from referential density, we can demonstrate that a
> subject(agent) in any given clause may NOT be Topically prominent in the
> episode. Again, the victim may be the most prominent participant in a given
> clause and in an entire episode.

Lets take a look at the Crucifixion in John 19b-27. After quickly reading
through this I find Jesus as the subject+semantic-agent only in one
incident, Jn 19:26-27 where he speaks to his Mother and to "the disciple."

However, Jesus has a high level of participant referential density in this
episode. I don't think that we would be tempted to conclude that Jesus'
topical prominence is low here because of the relative infrequency of his
appearing as the semantic agent.