[b-greek] RE: Acts 13:32-33 the Prophet

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 06:22:02 EST

> This is actually from Peter's second homily. In his first homily, on
> Penetcost, the whole middle section (2:22-2:36) is framed by:
>
> TOUTON ... ANESTHSEN (23-24) and
> TOUTON ... ANESTHSEN (32)
>
> While the first TOUTON ... ANESTHSEN clearly refers to resurrection,
> the second one (vs. 32) might, at a stretch, go as one of your cases
> of "sent forth," except that it lacks the fronted hUMIN. It is
> interesting that both assertions of raising up, though, are balanced
> by accusations of killing:
>
> ANEILATE (23)
> ESTAURWSATE (36)
>
> Thus, the first homily, also to a Jewish audience, seems to topple
> your theory of "the prophet sent forth" as a recurrent motif in these
> speeches.

Yes, I realized my mistake shortly after having sent off the post. It is
still a common motif but not occurring in all speeches.
I would not stretch 2:32 to talk about sending forth. Here the context makes
it clear that the resurrection of Jesus is the topic, and this was the key
proof that Jesus was indeed the Messiah.

Iver Larsen