[b-greek] Re: emphasis#2

From: Matthew R. Miller (biblicalscribe@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 12:28:43 EST

In my studies, I would agree that unusual word order is not always used
for emphasis, in Greek, and in other languages. It appears that,
sometimes, unusual word order adds a certain poetic elegance to a text,
without necessarily changing the emphasis. Also, unusual word order
sometimes changes the point of view of the speaker, without necessarily
emphasizing a certian word. Thanks, Matt

> ----__JNP_000_160c.39e3.6266
>
> Many thanks to Dennis Hukel, Jeff Smelser, Iver Larsen, and
> Carl Conrad for their responses (some on list, some off ) to
> my question about emphasis.
>
> May I ask a corollary before returning to my usual lurking
> mode?
>
> Concerning emphasis and word order, A.T.Robertson says:
> "This is one of the ruling ideas in the order of words. This
> emphasis may be at the end as well as at the beginning of
> the sentence, or even in the middle in case of antithesis.
> The emphasis consists in removing a word from its usual position
> to an unusual one." He provides several illustrations.
> (Grammar, 147f.)
>
> ATR goes on to explain that emphasis alone does not explain
> every unusual order of words in a Greek sentence (419,420),
> and, as Carl pointed out, ATR mentions the large amount of
> personal liberty that was exercised in the trajection of words.
>
> If I am not misunderstanding ATR, he differs rather
> emphatically (pardon the pun) with modern scholarship on
> this issue. Of course, I readily acknowledge that ATR may
> be the one in error, but I'm wondering: was ATR's position
> once the generally accepted position? In any case, what
> brought about the change of view? And how can the interested
> observer who is NOT a Greek scholar know which view is
> right? Is it a matter of standing on the shoulders of giants
> and getting a better view?
>
> Please understand that I'm not quibbling w. anyone's answer
> to my question; I suspect that Dennis Hukel is correct in saying
> that context must determine emphasis. I don't lose any sleep
> over the disagreement between scholars, but I'm curious about
> this rather common problem where one scholar dogmatically
> affirms a view that another scholar denies.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Rick Duggin
> Murfreesboro, TN
>

> ----__JNP_000_160c.39e3.6266

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1">
> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
> <BODY bottomMargin=3D0 leftMargin=3D3 topMargin=3D0 rightMargin=3D3>
> <DIV>Many thanks to Dennis Hukel, Jeff Smelser, Iver Larsen, and </DIV>
> <DIV>Carl Conrad for their responses (some on list, some off ) to </DIV>
> <DIV>my question about emphasis.&nbsp; </DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>May I ask a corollary before returning to my usual lurking</DIV>
> <DIV>mode?</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>Concerning emphasis and word order, A.T.Robertson says:</DIV>
> <DIV>"This is one of the ruling ideas in the order of words.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
> This</DIV>
> <DIV>emphasis may be at the end as well as at the beginning of </DIV>
> <DIV>the sentence, or even in the middle in case of antithesis.&nbsp;&nbsp;=
> =20
> [...]
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>