[b-greek] Re: poikilos

From: David Beaulieu (beau_dave@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 15:55:00 EST

<x-flowed>
Dear Steve,
     I am the coordinator for the bible studies for women at our church, and
I also teach. This fall we are using a curriculum authored by Beth Moore.
Beth Moore is a very good teacher and attempts to bring in the Greek and
Hebrew original words often. Being a "word person" myselfI regularly bring
word studies into the class. This particular word, "poikilos," was linked
to "polka dot." The illustration was quite effective, but I could not
verify the actual derivation of the word--which led to my contacting the
pros!! I agree with you that word studies and illustrations can be quite
dangerous, and I try to research the words and their histories well before
using them. In this case, I would like to make the correction in the class,
so that the error will not be perpetuated. I do so with continued respect
for the efforts of Beth Moore, and with sincere humility, knowing that I may
have, at times, been similarly culpable.

[Karen W. Beaulieu -- new list-members please take note: BG list
protocol requires a full-name signature to be appended to all
messages sent to the list--i.e. no anonymous messages, even if
there's a name indicated in the "From" header. --cwc]