[b-greek] 'cannot'

From: Timothy A Francis (TimFrancis@excite.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 05:12:07 EST

I have very little Greek, but can read it with the help of a parallel
text. I am trying to decipher 'dinatai' for 'cannot'. (This is where
Jesus says to his listeners that unless a man be born again, he 'cannot'
enter the Kingdom of Heaven. What does the 'cannot' mean. As far as I
can tell from parallel texts and dictionaries, 'dinatai' means cannot in
the sense of 'have not the power', 'not strong enough'. Is this right? I
need some clarification for a PhD thesis I am writing which involves
analysis of Luther's translation.

Tim Francis