[b-greek] Re: Historical Development of EKKLESIA?

From: Glen L Naftaniel (glensmail@juno.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 20:40:26 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4522.1801" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bottomMargin=0 leftMargin=3 topMargin=0 rightMargin=3>
<DIV>Dear Clation, Dennis, and all,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you for your responses on my questions about EKKLESIA.&nbsp; If I
could ask for a little more clarification on the ORIGIN of the word it would be
helpful.&nbsp; Did the word come from Hebrew?&nbsp; Or did it originate in
Greek?&nbsp; If it did come from Hebrew, I'm a bit confused as to how a Greek
word got used in <BR>the Old Testament (or is EKKLESIA a
Hebraism?)<BR>&nbsp;<BR>EKKLESIA is a Greek word, found in the Greek New
Testament. On the other hand, 'Ecclesiastes' is an English word for the Old
testament book which is based on Hebrew.&nbsp; I guess I am just a little
confused on how this works.&nbsp; I am not so much looking for any theological
significance, just to understand the language foundations and development.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you,<BR>Glen Naftaniel<BR><A
href="mailto:glensmail@juno.com">glensmail@juno.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>=========================</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px; MARGIN-LEFT: 10px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid">
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV>Dear B-Greeker's,</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I am wondering about the development of the word EKKLESIA.&nbsp; I was
  taught that it literally means: "'the called out ones.'&nbsp; Thus the
  beginning preposition "ek" which means to go out. and combined with "kaleo" to
  call.&nbsp; In the NT the word was so commonly used to describe the Christian
  church that it has become the primary usage and meaning of the word.&nbsp; It
  is used to describe an assembly; the Church, either the body, or the
  place."&nbsp; </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I have also ben told: "It's the Greek translation of the Hebrew name of
  the book which is Qohelet.&nbsp; Qohelet means 'congregations' or
  'synagogues'.&nbsp; When the Tanakh was translated into the LXX, it was
  translated to the Greek word 'Ecclesia' meaning 'churches'."</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Now I am a little confused as to the historical development of the
  word.&nbsp; What is the source of the word?&nbsp; How much of Greek has come
  form Hebrew; and how close in meaning are the words which were translated into
  Greek?</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Also, I have BAG 1973, does it answer these questions?&nbsp; If not can
  anyone recommend a good resource?</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Thanks in advance,</DIV>
  <DIV>Glen Naftaniel</DIV>
  <DIV><A href="mailto:glensmail@juno.com">glensmail@juno.com</A></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>