[b-greek] Re: Interlinear Bibles

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 14:58:49 EST

<x-flowed>

On Friday, November 30, 2001, at 10:26 PM, Robin Adamo wrote:

> If I had to place my order today, I would purchase Marshall's NASB-NIV
> Interlinear, only because it seems so popular. I am concerned about the
> print size, though. My husband has seen Green's KJV Interlinear and
> liked
> it quite a bit. Right now, we do not have a clear enough understanding
> of
> the differences between textual criticisms to possess a preference so
> the
> most important criteria (to me) would be ease of use by the beginner (a
> little hand holding would be nice), plenty of helpful ancilliary
> information, and easy to read typeface.
>
> I am also wondering what other aides would be most profitable. We
> have a
> Strong's Exhaustive Concordance. I am considering Metzgers Commentary,
> and perhaps a good dictionary and/or word study reference. And, of
> course, he will need something to help him begin his study of the Greek
> language, which is probably where most of you can help the most.

Hi Robin:

I second Ted Mann's recommendation of William Mounce's _Basics of
Biblical Greek_, and would just like to add that you can purchase a nice
workbook with it. The I think the workbook is necessary, since there are
no exercises in the textbook itself. Your husband will also want a Greek
New Testament. I would recommend the United Bible Societies' Greek New
Testament that comes with Barclay Newman's Greek-English dictionary
bound with the text. It is very convenient. Metzger's textual commentary
would probably be better put off for a later time, after your husband
has learned more about the language itself. Textual criticism isn't a
major concern in first year Greek. As for interlinears, it is my
personal opinion that they may do more harm than good. My own experience
is that they are misleading to those who do not know the language, and
not very helpful to those who do. In other words, by the time you can
use them judiciously, you don't need them! I think it is better to study
grammar and get into the habit of using a lexicon to look up words and
idioms about which one is curious. The Barclay Newman dictionary mainly
contains glosses, so you may want to get something a little more
"meaty," such as the Louw-Nida lexicon, also published by United Bible
Societies. BGAD is a bit advanced for a beginner.

I know you said your husband has an eye problem that hinders him from
viewing a computer screen, but I would like to offer a suggestion. I
have Accordance, an excellent Bible software program that offers not
only original language texts, but also many helpful tools for the study
of Greek. In every window are two conveniently-placed buttons--one to
make the text larger, one to make the text smaller. I would think other
programs offer this option also. I was just playing around with that
feature on Accordance and found that the text can be made very large and
yet it remains clear. Just something to consider.

I wish your husband much success, and hope to hear from him on B-Greek
in the future!

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI