[b-greek] Jude 7 APERCOMAI + OPISW

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 14:43:09 EST

In Jude 7 we have APERCOMAI + OPISW (APELQOUSAI OPISW) which is treated by
many as an idiom similar to well attested LXX idiom POREUOMAI OPISW.

I am not sure that this is a good equation. APERCOMAI + OPISW gets used in
contexts where there are two distinct notions of movement. Movement away
from something and movement towards something else. (see Mk 1:20, Lk 21:8).
POREUOMAI OPISW only has the second notion of movement towards.

Jude's treatment of the AGGELOUS in the preceding verse focuses on the first
kind of movement, movement away from something. The rest of the AGGELWV
story which is found in 1Enoch's treatment of Gen. 6 is left unstated but
should be considered as an active "Frame" in Jude's discourse. In other
words, Jude tells us what the ANGELLOI moved away from and we are to supply
what the ANGELLOI moved towards.

Looking at APERCOMAI in BDAG it is clear that the APO prefix may have little
impact on the meaning of the word in some contexts. However, in Jude 7 the
idiom APERCOMAI + OPISW probably includes both the notion of leaving
something and going towards something else.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point