[b-greek] Re: Interlinear Bibles

From: Ron Geib (rongeib@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 17:25:41 EST

Hi Robin,

I am a second-year student of Biblical Greek (I am being guided by a
mentor). In accord with the council already given you, I would encourage
your husband to invest the time in learning the Biblical Greek language
before relying on an interlinear. I tried using an interlinear several
years before I knew anything about Biblical Greek beyond the alphabet. I
tremble now, as I realize how dangerous I was with the limited knowledge I
had! I now know enough to be cautious in my translation and pray for God's
help to be faithful to His written word.

I found the most helpful starting point was with William Mounce's Basics of
Biblical Greek, along with its companion workbook and the UBS 4th edition of
The Greek New Testament. Even if he chooses to not to pursue further study
when he finishes Mounce's book, with a knowledge of the language's
grammatical basics, a Greek New Testament, and a Grammatical Analysis of the
Greek New Testament by Max Zerwick I believe he will be on more sure footing
than with an interlinear alone.

Wishing you and your husband blessings,

Ron Geib