[b-greek] Re: Jude 7 APERCOMAI + OPISW

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 22:39:50 EST

on 12/2/01 6:32 PM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> The reason this came up was that in Jude 6 the story of the AGGELOI
> mentions only their departure which is only half of the story, but in Jude 7
> we have a comparison, TON hOIMOIN TROPON TOUTOIS, between the story of
> Sodom and the AGGELOI. In Jude 7 the main point of comparison seems to be
> the issue which is left unsaid in Jude 6, the 1Enoch expansion on Gen. 6.
>
> So we have a pattern like this:
>
> Jd 6: AGGELOI departed proper place --> [omitted 1Enoch material]
> Jd 7: [Sodomites departed from . . . ] --> comparison to 1Enoc material
>
> In other words there is a semantic structural reason to see APERCOMAI OPISW
> as combining both movement away from something and movement towards
> something. Also this use of APERCOMAI OPISW is found in Mark 1:20 .

Reading this now, after supper it appears somewhat obtuse. Let me attempt to
simplify it:

We see a patter in Jude 6-7 with four terms.

A AGGELOI left something
B [AGGELOI went after something]
A' [Sodomites left something]
B' Sodomites went after something

Terms B & A' are omitted. But we know that they exist because the comparison
that is being drawn (TON hOIMOIN TROPON TOUTOIS) is between B' and B. We
know the content of B from 1Enoch and Gen 6. Therefore to fill out the
structure, we should take APERCOMAI OPISW as implying the existence A'. The
exact nature of A', what the Sodomites left, isn't important in this
context**.

I call this semantic structural analysis. Others like Roland Meynet* call
this biblical rhetoric. However, since biblical rhetoric is easily confused
with classical rhetoric I like to avoid the term rhetoric all together. For
more examples of this kind of analysis read biblical rhetoric Roland Meynet.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Meynet, Roland, Rhetorical analysis : an introduction to biblical rhetoric
Sheffield Academic Press, c1998.

** Perhaps Romans 1:26-27 give us a clue what the Sodomites left, but that
is another topic, I don't want to argue about that. Supertankers full of ink
have been spilled on that issue already.