[b-greek] Re: Interlinear Bibles

From: Ron Geib (rongeib@ptd.net)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 01:51:32 EST

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew wrote:
"Ron,

Is it OK to use an interlinear AFTER you have invested the time to learn NT
Greek?"

To which Ted Mann responded:
"After attempting to translate a passage directly from the GNT, I often use
an interlinear as a quick check. It seems to me it functions quite well for
that purpose (especially when I am translating over a cup of French Roast at
my favorite coffee shop), without becoming the crutch so many are concerned
about. I'd like to recommend the use of an interlinear for that purpose."

I speak only for myself when I say this: Since I am quite passionate about
wanting to grow more in my skills at reading Biblical Greek, I discipline
myself to very rarely pick up the interlinear. I find my biggest challenge
has been to learn to "think in Greek" while I read. I find that impossible
in an interlinear, because I can't focus on the Greek without seeing the
translation out of the corner of my eye. However, even for those much more
skilled in Biblical Greek than myself, I believe there are times (e.g.,
during preaching, teaching, or devotional reading) when the focus is
on unencumbered communication of God's Word to others (or myself). During
these times an interlinear may be the most pragmatic way to focus on
communication in a familiar translation while still having the Greek text
available for quick reference.

Blessings,

Ron Geib