[b-greek] Re: Virus

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 10:19:19 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 12/4/2001 9:39:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, theomann@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Has anyone's computer been infected with this W32/Bad Trans virus, or<BR>
whatever it's called?&nbsp; Mine has had it twice in spite of having virus<BR>
protection installed.&nbsp; I hope the nasty thing hasn't used me to infect any<BR>
of you.&nbsp; My computer wizard son says to be really cautious about opening<BR>
attachments.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I thought the list might be interested in the following from PC Magazine<BR>
<BR>
Virus Alert: BadTrans is Bad News<BR>
<BR>
A malicious security threat is spreading quickly, according <BR>
to new data from virus tracking service MessageLabs. The <BR>
threat, classified as a worm because it spreads via e-mail <BR>
clients, is called BadTrans, and it comes on the heels of <BR>
several damaging and costly viruses and worms seen in <BR>
recent months. <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; MessageLabs runs a free Web-based service called <BR>
Virus Eye, which tracks the occurrences of viruses and worms <BR>
across millions of global messages. As of early last week, <BR>
BadTrans showed up as far and away the most prevalent virus <BR>
or worm tracked, just ahead of the SirCam worm, which has <BR>
been spreading for months. BadTrans infections were occurring <BR>
about 12 times more frequently than SirCam infections, according <BR>
to MessageLabs' numbers. <BR>
&nbsp; Like other worms, BadTrans spreads through e-mail. It <BR>
targets Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail <BR>
clients and automatically executes a file attachment to spread <BR>
itself. An advisory from security firm TrendMicro stresses that <BR>
"it does not require the e-mail receiver to open the attachment <BR>
for it to execute." <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Security firm Symantec upgraded its risk classification <BR>
for BadTrans from level 3 to level 4. An advisory from Symantec <BR>
says: "BadTrans is a MAPI worm that e-mails itself out as one <BR>
of several different file names. This worm also creates a DLL <BR>
in the \Windows\System directory called Kdll.dll. It uses <BR>
functions from this DLL to log keystrokes." The good news is <BR>
that BadTrans is easy to remove.<BR>
<BR>
To read this article, go to<BR>
http://eletters1.ziffdavis.com/cgi-bin10/flo?y=eM3E0DXr8f0Evb0bzQ0Ac>
<BR>
gfsomsel</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page:
http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>