[b-greek] Re: DEIGMA in Jude 7: Nominative or Accusative?

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 15:53:17 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 12/5/2001 12:43:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, Rleedy@bju.edu writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">This a somewhat arcane question of purely grammatical interest. What<BR>
do you think about DEIGMA in Jude 7? The two versions of the GRAMCORD<BR>
data that I have both parse it as accusative, as do the BibleWorks and<BR>
Friberg databases. But it looks nominative to me, a predicate renaming<BR>
the nominative subjects of of PROKEINTAI, which could perhaps be taken<BR>
either passively or intransitively. I don't see any grammatical reason<BR>
to assume that a switch to the accusative case has taken place at this<BR>
point in the sentence.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Its customary to include the transliterated text under discussion.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
hWS SODOMA KAI GOMORRA KAI hAI PERI AUTAS POLEIS TON hOMOION TROPON TOUTOIS EKPOREUASAI KAI APELQOUSAI OPISW SARKOS hETERAS PROKEINTAI DEIGMA PUROS AIWNIOU DIKHN hUPEXOYSAI.<BR>
<BR>
As you have apparently noticed, the Nom. and Acc. are the same form in this word.&nbsp; Therefore, it could potentially be Nom.&nbsp; There are, however, other considerations.&nbsp; Consider the verb - PROKEINTAI.&nbsp; This form is unambiguos.&nbsp; It is a 3 pl. form.&nbsp; Although it is not uncommon for a NEUTER PL. subject to take a SING. verb, it is not the practice to use a NEUTER SING. subject with a PL. verb.<BR>
<BR>
gfsomsel
</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>