[b-greek] Re: DEIGMA in Jude 7: Nominative or Accusative?

From: Randy Leedy (Rleedy@bju.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 08:53:37 EST

>>> "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> 12/05/01 07:37PM

Well, to confess the truth, I wasn't really very seriously expecting
anybody to buy into the middle voice + accusative direct object. No,
really do think it (DEIGMA) is a predicate nominative (and there's
no
problem with the plural verb here working with a singular predicate
nominative (I think George Somsel was objecting to viewing DEIGMA as
nominative SUBJECT to PROKEINTAI, but so far as I know, that was
never
contemplated.
<<<

Thanks for explaining George's comment. Re-reading his message, I see
that you're correct. It left me puzzled and, since I was scrambling to
finish a number of miscellaneous tasks before running off to a
meeting, I just left it aside for the moment. (George, if you're
reading this, I do appreciate your taking the time to respond).

I'm trying to buy half of the package you offered as "outrageous":
the middle voice but an intransitive or reflexive idea that is
followed by a complement renaming the subject and therefore
nominative. As I said, it doesn't seem outrageous at all to me; the
middle voice is actually what I was preferring when I originally wrote
(though I was willing to buy the passive and didn't want to make an
issue on that particular point since to me it seemed irrelevant to the
question of the case of DEIGMA).

You earlier offered a possible explanation of DEIGMA accusative as an
object of hUPECOUSAI. I can see how the sentence could possibly be
read this way, but it seems much inferior to me (as, I gather, it does
to you also). Apparently the translators tend to agree, because the 8
or 10 that are readily available to me all take DEIGMA as complement
to PROKEINTAI. Also BDAG cites a parallel from Josephus using
PROKEIMAI with a complement hUPODEIGMA.

I was hoping Dale Wheeler might pick up on this discussion and say
something about why GRAMCORD parses as accusative. Unless he or
someone else steps forward to defend the accusative, it looks, Carl,
like it's you and me against the world on this point. I like that
better than me alone (I alone?) against the world. But I doubt that
we'll generate much of a fuss, since there do seem to be a few things
of slightly greater importance for sane and reasonable people to
invest their time in.

Blessings! (Acts 3:26)

Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University