[b-greek] hOUTOI: a boundry marker in Jude

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 17:03:27 EST

Greeks,

hOUTOI seems to mark several of the high level discourse constituents in
Jude. hOUTOI is used in Jude where the discourse level moves from an
Embedded Discourse (ED) to higher level of the discourse structure. In other
words hOUTOI is used to mark a RETURN to a main topical thread.

In Jude 4 a main topical thread is introduced as TINES ANQROPOI. Jd 5-7 is
an Embedded Discourse (ED). In Jd 8 hOUTOI pops the reader back out of the
ED by tying back into TINES ANQROPOI. In Jd 9 we see another ED and Jd 10
returns again with hOUTOI to the higher level thread.

Jd 11 appears to be another ED but this time it contains anaphoric
pronominal references to TINES ANQROPOI. For this reason some might argue
that this is not an ED. However, aside from these anaphoric references Jd 11
fits the pattern of the other Embedded Discourse's by making a comparison to
a historical precedent. hOUTOI in Jd 12 returns the reader from and ED to
the higher level discourse thread.

Jd 14-15 is another ED and in Jd 16 we see hOUTOI marking a return.

***sources****

I am currently reading an older work (1994) on Discourse Analysis, which
seems to offer a lot of helpful insights on discourse boundaries.

Guthrie, George H. The structure of Hebrews : a text-linguistic analysis,
Grand Rapids, Mich. : Baker Books, 1998, Leiden, Netherlands E.. J. Brill
1994.

Guthrie has the most lucid treatment of transitions between discourse
constituents that I have seen in print. I am particularly impressed with his
treatment overlapping constituents, where the discourse constituents are
woven together. I have seen this type of discourse boundary now and then in
my wandering through the GNT and was wondering why I had not seen much
discussion of it. Guthrie not only discusses it at some length but he
provides diagrams of the various kinds of linkage between constituents.

I am sure this is old news to the DA fanatics since Guthrie's book was
published by Brill in '94. However, I mention it because some of the less
fanatical might not have had a chance to read Guthrie yet.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew