[b-greek] Re: Layers in Jude

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 15:38:16 EST

on 12/8/01 11:16 AM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> As of this morning (tomorrow this may change) I see at least three layers in
> Jude which can be identified by repeated word level constituents as well as
> other kinds of marking.
>
> The top layer is marked by AGAPHTOI. In Jd 1 we have HGAPHMENOIS and then we
> see AGAPHTOI in Jd 3,17 and 20. The discourse material in this layer does
> not make up the bulk of Jude but it does contain the main theme and purpose
> of the epistle, which can be summed up as EPAGWNIZESQAI THi hAPAX
> PARADOQEISHi TOIS hAGIOIS PISTEI in Jd 3.
>
> The second layer is marked by TINES ANQROPOI (Jd 4), hOUTOI (Jd 8, 10,12,16,
> 19) and other anaphoric constituents which point to TINES ANQROPOI.
>
> The third layer is made up of supporting material related to the discussion
> of TINES ANQROPOI. The third layer is marked by shift of subject, time and
> place. We also see calls to remember marking two of these segments,
> hUPOMNHSAI (Jd 5), MNHSQHTE (Jd 17). It is interesting that these two calls
> to remember come at the beginning and at the end of the second and third
> layers. Thus they might be seen as marking off the second and third layer
> material from the first layer.
>
> The constituents AGAPHTOI, TINES ANQROPOI, hOUTOI serve at least two
> purposes in the discourse structure. One purpose is to provide cohesion
> within their respective layers of the discourse. AGAPHTOI provides cohesion
> for layer one. TINES ANQROPOI, hOUTOI provide cohesion in layer two. The
> second purpose is to mark transitions between layers.

It has been suggested to me (again, off list) that layers two and three are
really at the same level of Jude's discourse and that the supporting
material which is introduced forms a part of the discussion of TINES
ANQROPOI at the same level.

I can accept this approach. According to this view the shifts between the
discourse "paragraphs" marked by change of subject, time, place would be
marking off a number of "paragraphs" at the same level of the discourse.

One drawback of this approach is that it tends to hide one important feature
of the discourse structure. All the level two segments in my approach are
coherent, that is the function together as a unit even though they are
broken up by the level three segments. The level two segments have the same
time, topic, place etc. Where as the level three segments are very diverse
illustrations which support the level two argument. The level three segments
are not coherent with each other. They stand alone as isolated units.

If we flatten out Jude's argument by making my level two and three one level
we loose the "visibility" of coherence at level two and the lack of
coherence at level three.

A correction:

>We also see calls to remember marking two of these segments,
> hUPOMNHSAI (Jd 5), MNHSQHTE (Jd 17). It is interesting that these two calls
> to remember come at the beginning and at the end of the second and third
> layers. Thus they might be seen as marking off the second and third layer
> material from the first layer.

This statement should be corrected. These two calls to remember come at the
beginning of the initial third level segment and at the beginning of the
final third level segment. Thus they mark off the section that deals with
supporting material which makes sense in terms of the semantics of
hUPOMNHSAI (Jd 5) and MNHSQHTE (Jd 17).

If this seems like a monologue that is because no one wants to talk about it
on-list. However, I keep getting responses from a number of lurkers telling
me that they want it talked about on-list so that is where I am doing my
talking.

greetings,

Clay

--