[b-greek] Re: Independent study and the barrier of technical vocabulary

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 17:15:56 EST

on 12/13/01 10:08 AM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Discourse Analysis (DA) is laden with lots of specialized terminology borrowed
> from various schools of linguistics (Prague Circle, Early & Late Chomsky,
> Functionalism, Systemic-Functionalism, Structuralism, and many others).
> Practitionars of Discourse Analysis tend to be highly eclectic, borrowing
> ideas from several different language models and linguistics systems.

To get an introduction to the basic ideas and terminology of Discourse
Analysis it is difficult to beat pages 45-57 (chapter 3) in:

Guthrie, George H. The structure of Hebrews : a text-linguistic analysis,
Grand Rapids, Mich. : Baker Books, 1998, Leiden, Netherlands E.. J. Brill
1994.

Guthrie does a good job of simplifying without trivializing the notions of
cohesion and boundaries, two very central ideas in DA. Later on in his book
he puts these notions to work on an analysis of Hebrews.

I am not concerned with the question: Did Guthrie get it right in Hebrews?
For fledgling practitioners of NT Greek discourse analysis, the value here
is to see the methods of DA put to use by an author who does not cloak his
work in a dense cloud of inscrutable verbiage, like most of the monographs I
have read on this topic.

I am not pushing Guthrie, never met the man and get no kick back from Baker
either. Just know a good book when I see one.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew