[b-greek] Re: 2 Cor 12:7

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 01:43:42 EST

on 12/13/01 10:32 PM, Iver Larsen wrote:

> FEIDOMAI DE MH TIS EIS EME LOGISHTAI hUPER hO BLEPEI ME H AKOUEI EX EMOU
> KAI THi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN (DIO) hINA MH hUPERAIRWMAI EDOQH MOI
> SKOLOY THi SARKI
>
> What is the function of the dative THi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN?
> Does the dative phrase belong to the previous sentence or the following?
>
> DIO is missing from a few manuscripts, p46, D, etc, but I assume it was
> original because of the better ms support for its inclusion and its
> awkwardness.
>
> Iver Larsen

Iver,

DIO is only given a {D} rating in Metzger (Text Com. 1st Ed.). Lets say we
dump DIO, then THi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN can be seen as limiting the
verb hUPERAIRWMAI. H.A.W. Meyer calls it a "dativus instrumenti." Both Meyer
and Henry Alford say that the forward position of THi hUPERBOLHi TWN
APOKALUYEWN is used to focus attention on this constituent.

On the other hand if you insist on keeping DIO then you may want to follow
Lachmanm and connect THi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN with the EI MH EN TAIS
ASQENEIAIS (v.5). But I agree with Meyer and Alford that this is a desperate
solution.

J.H. Bernard suggests that if we keep DIO, then THi hUPERBOLHi TWN
APOKALUYEWN forms a broken construction, a clause that was started but
didn't get finished. Paul does this in other places, runs off on a tangent
and never comes back to tie up the loose ends leaving little fragments of
clauses hanging out in space to befuddle the exegetes.

But returning to the textual issue, difficult readings are not always
original. There are some readings that are so difficult that they simply are
ruled out of court by being nonsense. DIO in this context is not really a
nonsense reading but it certainly makes problems for THi hUPERBOLHi TWN
APOKALUYEWN.

greetings,

Clay

--