[b-greek] Re: 2 Cor 12:7 and punctuation

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 12:44:41 EST

on 12/15/01 1:24 AM, Iver Larsen wrote:

> KAI THi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN (DIO) hINA MH hUPERAIRWMAI EDOQH MOI
> SKOLOY THi SARKI (hINA MH hUPERAIRWMAI)
>
> Clay responded: DIO is only given a {D} rating in Metzger (Text Com. 1st
> Ed.). Lets say we dump DIO, then THi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN can be seen
> as limiting the verb hUPERAIRWMAI. H.A.W. Meyer calls it a "dativus
> instrumenti." Both Meyer and Henry Alford say that the forward position of
> THi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN is used to focus attention on this
> constituent.
>
> Thanks, Clay. This is pretty much how I would take it. I would still prefer
> to take DIO as original, but I am also happy to leave it out. I don't think
> it alters the sense of the whole verse whether it is present or not.

Iver,

On the question of DIO making a difference, Lachmann, Meyer, Alford and J.H.
Bernard all suggest that DIO makes a difference. Meyer and Alford are
willing to accept a clause constituent to the left of hINA MH hUPERAIRWMAI
EDOQH MOI . . . but they are NOT willing to accept a clause constituent to
the left of DIO hINA . . .. Meyer cites 2Cor2:4 and Gal. 2:10 as examples
where a constituent is placed to the left of a hINA clause. I checked these
examples and they look good.

What these guys are not willing to tolerate is placing a constituent left of
DIO which limits some constituent within the DIO clause. They say that if
DIO is retained then we must either connect Hi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN
with something before it (e.g., Lachmann, apposition to ASQENEIAIS in v.5)
or we must understand it as a broken construction (J.H. Bernard). This
explains the full stop after the dative and before DIO.

I could find no discussion of clause position for DIO/ DIOPER in the
standard grammars. They just say that DIO/DIOPER "introduces a . . .
clause." Argument from silence is risky. I didn't notice clause position
being discussed for hINA either, but I didn't look very hard.

Perhaps one of the silent grammarians on the list might help out with this
question of clause position of DIO/DIOPER.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew