[b-greek] DIA TOU IHSOU in 1 Thess. 4:14

From: James S. Murray (jsmurray@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 19:51:32 EST

Greetings;

Text: EI GAR PISTEUOMEN hOTI IHSOUS APEQANEN KAI ANESTH, hOUTWS KAI hO
QEOS TOUS KOIMHQENTAS DIA TOU IHSOU AXEI SUN AUTWi.

I am pondering whether the phrase DIA TOU IHSOU goes with KOIMHQENTAS or
with AXEI. The normal uses of DIA don't seem to fit with
KOIMHQENTAS. Zerwick (A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New
Testament, pg. 619) prefers KOIMHQENTAS, with a meaning similar to EN in
1 Corth. 15:18 (ARA KAI hOI KOIMHQENTES EN CRISTWi APWLONTO). While
this is attractive, especially given a similar parallel phrase in 1
Thess. 4:16 (KAI hOI VEKROI EN CRISTWi ANASTHSONTAI...), I'm struggling
with DIA having a locative sense. Is anyone aware of other NT uses of
DIA in which it can stand for EN? Zerwick references Acts 11:28 as an
example. However, I think this use of DIA can easily be understood as
instrumental or means, so this is not an unambiguous example.

On the other hand, taking this phrase with AXEI seems to better fit with
the normal uses of DIA.

Any thoughts on this one?

Jim Murray
Racine, WI