[b-greek] Re: Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon

From: Lyle E. & Christine A. Buettner (buettner@mcleodusa.net)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 00:07:47 EST

Along with J. Burke, I don't know what source Strong used. However, I don't
think it would necessarily be proper to use LSJ for a final authority on
biblical definitions. I would think, one should / would use a classical
lexicon (LSJ) when using classical texts, a biblical lexicon (Thayer or
BAGD/BDAG) when using biblical texts, and a patristic lexicon (Lampe) when
using a patristic text.

Personally, I use BAGD (I haven't yet spent the money to buy BDAG)

Of course, when one runs into a hapax in a biblical text, a classical
lexicon may very well be the best place to turn.

Lyle E. Buettner

> Hi Ted,
>

> IF it is true that Thayer's lexicon is not the best, does this reflect on
the Greek lexicon in Strong's concordance? My
> understanding is that Strong used Thayer as his source. Or have I heard
wrong?

> I don't know either, but I'd like to be sure. I always use
Liddell/Scott/Jones Edition 9 as my first and final