[b-greek] Re: Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon

From: Mark DelCogliano (cassian@dellepro.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 17:27:57 EST

Harry,

While I can't cite specific words, I remember reading somewhere that the
bulk of Thayer's work for the most part preceded the papyri discoveries that
began in the late 19th century and was thus basically uninfluenced by the
revolutions in NT lexicography consequent to those discoveries. Words that
an earlier generation of scholars might have considered to have special
Christian or spiritual meanings could have been shorn of such meanings when
examples of usage were discovered in the papyri. Sorry I can't be more
specific. A book like *Light from the Ancient East* by Adolf Deissman would
discuss concrete examples.

Mark DelCogliano