[b-greek] hUYISTOS nom. w/o article

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 17:37:25 EST

 1 Enoch 10:1
Codex Panopolitanus R.H. CHARLES

10:1 Tote Uyistos eipen peri toutwn, o megas Agios, kai elalhsen kai eipen
kai epemyen Istrahl pros ton uion Lamec.

Here we see hUYISTOS not as an epiteth, in the nom. w/o article. I gather
from what I can read this is not typical. Syncellus has the article (hO
hUYISTOS).

Danker and the DDD* mention other cases where hUYISTOS is used w/o article
but I could find no examples in the nominative and in most of the examples
hUYISTOS limits another substantive. See Psa. 46:3 Psa. 82:19 Psa. 91:9 Ode.
12:7 Is. 57:15 in the LXX.

Can anyone cite an example where hUYISTOS is used alone, not an epiteth, in
nom. w/o article?

seasons greetings

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

Side issue: How good are the lexicons on hUYISTOS?

The article in the DDD* (p439-444) was well worth reading on this word, much
longer than Danker, and Danker was much longer than Thayer (4-5 times as
long). Thayer did have a cross reference to Westcott&Hort Intro. to NT in
Org. Greek #416 which I looked up and was helpful if dated.

I didn't take the time to look and TDNT, EDNT, Spicq. Later perhaps.

*Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible, 2nd ed. Brill/Eerdmans 1999