[b-greek] Re: TI AKONTES in I Clem 2.3

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 18:58:34 EST

<x-flowed>
On Monday, December 31, 2001, at 08:08 AM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> I think the standard usage of hEKWN and A(E)KWN is as an adjective
> predicatively relating to the subject of the verb; I remember vividly
> from
> decades ago encountering the line of Aeschylus(?) from the Prometheus
> Bound
> where Prometheus asserts: hEKWN hEKWN hHARTON: "I went wrong
> deliberately,
> deliberately!"

Carl:

Thanks very much for your helpful responses. I just wanted to get one
clarification to make sure I understand correctly. When you say AKWN is
"an adjective predicatively relating to the subject of the verb," would
this be the same or similar to the construction in which we have
subject-copulative verb-predicate adjective? And would it be possible
that with certain verbs and adjectives we could have a verb with both a
direct object and a predicate adjective?

Happy New Year,

Steve Lo Vullo