[b-greek] Re: TI AKONTES in I Clem 2.3

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 21:04:58 EST

<x-flowed>
On Monday, December 31, 2001, at 06:45 PM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> I wouldn't categorize it as use of the adjective to predicate something
> about the subject; rather I think this is a matter of the adjective
> conveying an almost substantival force "as one who is
> willing/unwilling."
> On checking both Dale Wheeler's and Wallace's grammar of NT usage (my
> hard
> copies of grammars are all in NC, where I am currently NOT), I find they
> don't recognize it at all, although I have myself argued that Lk 2:2 the
> usage of PRWTH in hAUTH APOGRAFH PRWTH EGENETO hHGEMONEUONTOS THS SURIAS
> KURHNAIOU is of precisely this sort--that PRWTH should be construed with
> with EGENETO, "first took place." My guess is that this usage should be
> considered "schoolbook" Greek--what's not found generally in NT Koine
> but
> nonetheless continues in use among those who've learned their Greek
> grammar
> from a GRAMMATIKOS in the GUMNASION of a Hellenistic city--and it
> should be
> remembered that late first-century and second-century educated writers
> are
> reverting to Attic usage. You might take note of this from Smyth.

Carl:

Thanks once again. Your explanation and English expression of the force
("as one who is willing/unwilling") were very helpful, as was Smyth's
comment where he says, "In such cases the adjective is regarded as a
quality of the subject; whereas an adverb would regard the manner of the
action." I have Smyth, but haven't used it on a regular basis. I think I
will start consulting it more.

Thanks again,

Steve Lo Vullo