[b-greek] re: How much daily reading? a bigger question, 2

From: jerker karlsson (jerker_k@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 21:58:23 EST

<x-flowed>

>From: Randall Buth <ButhFam@compuserve.com>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>CC: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [b-greek] re: How much daily reading? a bigger question, 2
>Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:10:49 -0500
>
>TW Clay KAI ALLOIS ETAIROIS
>CAIREIN

I Believe you missed the definite article i.e. tois allois ...;-)

200 trips to a dictionary a day
>will wear down most any student. Students cannot be expected to 'look up
>vocabulary' at that rate. NAI, KAI ETI MALLON -- NAI.
>
>The other points of my email also remain valid. I think we're on the same
>side here. I am concerned that people are willing to approve or ignore a
>situation where someone studies a language for twenty years and is still
>not fluent. "It's just what everybody does." Something needs to change,
> AR' OUCI DEI TI ALLACQHNAI ; ?
>NAI, -- OU CRH TAUTA OUTWS GINESQAI.
>
>Greek is a great language with a rich history and literature. We need to be
>serious about what we call 'proficiency' and how to get there if we want
>students to enjoy it.
>
>ERRWSO
>
>Randall Buth
>Director, Biblical Language Center
>www.biblicalulpan.org

Even if I appreciate your enthusiasm I find it rather doubtful that you’ll
manage to find students who are willing to participate in such an ambitious
program. But if you do, surely you are blessed!

But I have doubts concerning your method. Classic Greek isn’t just any
language, it’s a dead language, an language not spoken or written for
thousands of years. Knowledge in greek comes froe careful studying of the
sedimentations not from lively participation in ongoing communication. When
we start to write in greek we aren’t actually reliving the good old days
but rather, at best, poorly imitating that that ones was.

Jerker Karlsson
Lund, Sweden