[b-greek] Re: Acts 19:18 Perfect tense

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 22:34:44 EST

on 2/3/02 5:46 PM, Mark Wilson wrote:

> POLLOI TE TWN PEPISTEUKOTWN HRCONTO EXOMOLOGOUMENOI
> KAI ANAGGELLONTES TAS PRAXEIS AUTWN
>
> Can any concur with the following commentary of this:
>
> "Those concerned in v. 18 were evidently already confessing
> Christians, as the perfect tense PEPISTEUKOTWN would indicate.
> That the "evil deeds" (PRAXEIS) were magical arts is indicated
> both by the context (cf. v. 19) and by the fact that PRAXEIS
> was a technical term for magic spells...." (Polhill, Acts, pg. 405)
>
> Do we have Christians practicing magic spells here?

The answer is probably yes. For a detailed discussion see works by Clinton
E. Arnold who has written extensively on this topic. Including two
scholarly monographs on Colossians and Ephesians which treat the topic of
magic in the early church at some length.

For a discussion of Acts 19:18 see page 238 in:

Arnold, C.E. The Colossian Syncretism, Baker, 1996

Ephesians, Power And Magic : The Concept Of Power In Ephesians In Light Of
Its Historical Setting / Clinton E. Arnold. 1989.

Powers Of Darkness : Principalities & Powers In Paul's Letters / Clinton E.
Arnold. c1992.

greetings,

Clay

--