[b-greek] Re: Matthew 19:28

From: Mark (admin@asarian-host.net)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 20:13:09 EST

Carl wrote:

> The second option -- that EN THi PALIGGENESIAi is somehow instrumental
> construing with the participle AKOLOUQHSANTES -- is, I think, not at all
> viable. The only way of construing EN THi PALIGGENESIAi as instrumental
> would have to be "by means of the regeneration."
>
> The 'natural' sequence
> here is sufficiently clear: EN THi PALIGGENESIAi construes with KAQHSESQE
> KAI hUMEIS... ; moreover, EN THi PALIGGENESIAi as a temporal locative
> construction is followed immediately by a relative adverbial clause:
> "At-the-time-of the regeneration/new-creation, WHEN the Son of Man has
> taken his seat..., you who followed me will also sit..." --

Dear Carl,

Thank you for your explanation. Hans was kind enough to ask the question on
my behalf when I had not yet joined the list. I am a newbie on this list,
and by no means an accomplished Greek scholar. Still, raking my head over
this Scripture, I was wondering whether, purely looking at the Grammer, one
could also translate as follows:

"When the Son of Man is seated ..., those who have followed me by means of
the New Birth, ..." ?

The reason I ask, is because the one other instance of palingenesia, in
Titus 3:5, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according
to His Mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration [palingenesia]
and renewing of the Holy Spirit," really seems to point to being born again.

Simply from a grammatical point of few, I therefore wonder whether the
translation, such as I suggested it, is at all possible?

Well, thanks for your time anyway,

- Mark