[b-greek] Re: John 14,2

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 20:10:23 EST

In a message dated 2/7/02 10:27:24 PM, scarlson@mindspring.com writes:

>At 07:18 PM 2/7/02 -0800, waldo slusher wrote:
>>John 15 and 2a
>>EN TH' OIKIA' TOU PARTOS MOU MONAI POLLAI EISIN
>>
>>Is there any evidence that MONAI implies the idea of
>>MANSIONS? I've heard that several times. I think I
>>have even heard that in a song we sing at church.
>
>Up until 1697, the English word "mansion" meant an apartment.
>
>Stephen Carlson

The entry in Louw and Nida is a good interpretation of these passages in John
14, the only two ocurrances of the noun form of this word in the GNT.

85.76 MONH, HS F: a place where one may remain or dwell -- 'place, dwelling
place.' EN THi OIKIAi TOU PATROS MOU MONAI POLLAI EISIN 'in my father's
house are many dwelling places' Jn 14:2; ELEUSOMEQA KAI MONHN PAR' AUTWi
POIHSOMEQA 'I will come and live with him' (literally '. . . and make my
dwelling place with him') Jn 14:23.

As Steve Carlson indicated the word Mansion does not mean today what it did
in 1611. The promise is that the risen Christ will "live" with the disciples
beyond the cross/resurrection.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College