[b-greek] Re: PRWTON in Rom 1.16

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 19:11:07 EST

> on 2/17/02 9:34 PM, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>
> > Rom 1.16: OU GAR EPAISCUNOMAI TO EUAGGELION, DUNAMIS GAR QEOU ESTIN EIS
> > SWTHRIAN PANTI TWi PISTEUONTI, IOUDAIWi TE PRWTON KAI hELLHNI.
> >
> > I get Paul's gist here, but I'm trying to get a handle on exactly what the
> > adverb PRWTON is modifying. There has to be some sort of ellipsis, but what
> > is it?
>
> Steven,
>
> Having read Carl's and Moon's comments I will suggest an alternative
> approach.
>
> ROM. 1:16 OU GAR EPAISCUNOMAI TO EUAGGELION, DUNAMIS GAR QEOU ESTIN EIS
> SWTHRIAN PANTI TW PISTEUONTI, IOUDAIW TE PRWTON KAI ELLHNI.
>
> Let's expand this into three parallel constructions:
>

> DUNAMIS . . . QEOU ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN PANTI TWi PISTEUONTI
> [DUNAMIS . . . QEOU ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN] IOUDAIW . . . PRWTON
> [DUNAMIS . . . QEOU ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN] ELLHNI

Hmm,
I think that IOUDIAW TE PRWTON KAI ELLHNI is an apposition or explanation
of
PANTI TWi PISTEUONTI. That is, the connotation of ALL is both Jews and
Gentiles
rather than every individual. It is based partially on the fact that in
Romans
ALL primarily refers to BOTH JEWS AND GENTILES in many places.

To translate, we would have: To all who believe, that is, to the Jews
first and to the Greek also.

This rendering makes me wonder if "adverbs" should always modify verbs or
adjectives, but not nouns.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea