[b-greek] RE: Romans 2:9

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 17:54:29 EST

on 2/22/02 1:39 PM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> Iver argues that PRWTON
> does not modify/qualify/limit "any word in the sentence" but rather "the
> verb which is not explicit but clearly understood through the context ..."

> . . . I still don't think any "deep structure" is required to
> understand how PRWTON is working here . . .

Yes what we seem to have here is some crypto-early-Chomsky ('59, '65)
mediated through some of E.A. Nida's early works on translation theory mixed
in with who knows what else from the Byzantine world of linguistics . . .
perhaps some "Elephants and Bananas"*

I am willing to accept Carl's solution without a fight. I just said that
"One might be tempted . . . " to see PROTON as limiting an implied EISTIN
clause. Being tempted and actually succumbing to temptation are different

two cheers (not three),

*See archives for '96-'97 where you will find Micheal Palmer's lucid
comments on early Chomsky & Nida, search for "Elephants and Bananas."