[b-greek] Re: Attic and Homeric Greek vs. Koine

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 13:34:11 EST

Greetings Randall,

How are things in Jerusalem?

on 2/23/02 9:02 AM, Randall Buth wrote:

> If you learn your Koine well you can move right into Attic or Homer with
> a very brief introduction and then patience with much additional vocab.

Not to quibble, I appreciate your upbeat attitude about this, but I would
suggest that "moving right into Homer" will involve a lot more than just
learning vocabulary. Certainly in the long haul vocabulary will be the #1
issue. I started dabbling in Homer in '88 and vocabulary is now the main
thing which slows me down. But for the first few years it was also a problem
of getting used to the way ideas are express in Epic both in terms of syntax
and semantic structure.

Unless you are one of Randall's students, a unique class of super humans
;-)), you will need to expend blood sweat and tears over many lines of
Homeric Epic before the idiom starts to make sense.