[b-greek] Re: MOICALIS in Rom 7.3

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 11:19:54 EST

At 7:52 AM -0600 2/24/02, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>Rom 7.3: ARA OUN ZWNTOS TOU ANDROS MOICALIS CRHMATISEI EAN GENHTAI ANDRI
>hETERWi ...
>
>Should MOICALIS be considered a predicate nominative here, or a nominative
>of appellation? The verbs I've seen that take a predicate nominative
>(outside of EIMI, GINOMAI and hUPARCW) are passive (such as KALEW and
>hEURISKW). On the other hand, the nominative of appellation seems to occur
>somewhat as a complement after a direct object in the expected case (cf. Jn
>13.13, hUMEIS FWNEITE ME hO DIDASKALOS KAI hO KURIOS; Rev 9.11, ONOMA ECEI
>APOLLUWN).
>============

Looks to me like a predicate word, the construction here calling for the
name/appellation to be in the same case as the subject; cf. Acts 11:26.

CRHMATIZW is an interesting verb--'active' in morphology, but functioning
in this sense as a middle-passive or copula, very much, in fact, like
German 'heissen' or French 's'appeller'. BDAG has an interesting note (to
which I call attention but which I shall not cite) on the derivation of
CRHMATIZW in this sense as different from that of CHRMATIZW in the sense of
revelation.

LSJ (s.v. CHRMATIZW):

III. in later writers, from Plb. downwards, the Act. chrêmatizô takes some
special senses:
1. to take and bear a title or name, to be called or styled so and so,
chrêmatizein basileus Plb.5.57.2 , 30.2.4, cf. Aristeas 298; Ptolemaios . .
neos Dionusos ch. D.S.1.44 ; echrêmatize Chalkêdonios, Krêtikos,
Str.13.1.55, App.Sic.6; nea Isis echrêmatize Plu.Ant.54 ; mê patrothen,
all' apo mêterôn ch. to call themselves not after their fathers, but after
their mothers, Id.2.248d; ch. apo tou dêmou Harp. s.v. dêmoteuomenos; ch.
tous mathêtas Christianous Act.Ap. 11.26; timês kai pisteôs ch. axioi to be
deemed . . , App.BC2.111.
2. generally, to be called, moichalis Ep.Rom.7.3 : mêtêr Ph.1.440 ; kai hôs
ch. 'and so forth' (omitting some of the writer's names), POxy.100.1 (ii A.
D.), etc.; also c. dat., aei -izôn tôi prokeimenôi onomatiôi ib.2131.8 (iii
A. D.).
3. change or be changed, eis ti Gp.12.1.9 .

L& N:

33.127 CRHMATIZWb; PROSAGOREUW; ONOMAZWa; to give a name or title to - 'to
call, to give a name to, to give a title to.'
CRHMATIZWb: CRHMATISAI TE PRWTWS EN ANTIOCWi TOUS MAQHTAS CRISTIANOUS 'it
was at Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians' Ac 11:26.
PROSAGOREUW: PROSAGOREUQEIS hUPO TOU QEOU ARCIEREUS 'God called him high
priest' He 5:10.
ONOMAZWa: hOUS KAI APOSTOLOUS WNOMASEN 'whom he called apostles' Mk 3:14;
SIMWNA, ON KAI WNOMASEN PETRON 'Simon, to whom he also gave the name Peter'
Lk 6:14.