[b-greek] Re: Mark 4 KAI EGENETO EN TW SPEIREIN

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 02:42:42 EST

on 3/2/02 9:57 PM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Searching for: GINOMAI + EN + (art?) + infinitive, resulted in over 40
> *hits in the LXX. I suspected that this was a Hebraism so I opened the
> MT/LXX database to see what the LXX was translating. My guess was correct.
> The MT typically had the pattern: W+YHY+B+infin.cstr. In one or two places
> YHY was replaced by HYH (1Samuel 16:23, 2Samuel 15:5) and in a few places B
> was replaced with K (2Kings 2:9). These variations are not terribly
> significant.

To test my results on this I reversed the process and did the search based
on the Hebrew pattern to see how it was rendered in the LXX. The first and
most obvious issue is that the Hebrew pattern pattern W+YHY+B+infin.cstr can
be rendered either as GINOMAI + EN + (art?) + infinitive in the LXX or as
EMEI + EN + (art?) + infinitive. Not a big surprise. However, the pattern
with EIMI is not used in the NT. Wonder why.

NB. I am using the prefix form YHY just to simplify the notation. My search
was performed on the lexical form (not inflected) so it would find both the
prefix and suffix forms of the verb. The prefix form was by far the most
common in this pattern.

One last observation. As it turns out the B/K variation in the Hebrew text
is a significant issue, contra my previous comment. When K is found in the
pattern W+YHY+K+infin.cstr it can be rendered as WS in the LXX. Once in a
while it is rendered as EN + Infinitive but this is not the prototypical
pattern.

greetings,

Clay

--