[b-greek] Re: Matthew 28:19,20

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 13:39:07 EST

on 3/3/02 9:39 AM, Chuck Tripp wrote:

> I was thinking about this after my earlier email. The meaning of the two
> participle verbs can convey the idea of sequence. I was thinking for
> example one could construct a sentence where the indicative verb is 'build
> houses' and the two participles are 'laying foundations' and 'constructing
> roofs.' It would go something like this: 'go into the world and build
> houses, laying foundations and constructing roofs.' My greek is nowhere
> good enough to construct this in greek (though I think I would throw in a
> word like EPEITE to avoid ambiguity), but imagine this sentence in greek.
> There would be an obvious sequence in the meaning to the two participles.
> The sequence is not inherent to the syntax of the sentence i.e. indicative +
> participle + participle but instead comes out of the meaning of the words.

> I am not saying that the
> case can't be made one way or the other, but that one has to go beyond the
> syntax of the sentence to come to a conclusion.

Yes Yes!

Once again we find our b-greek friends beating their heads against a wall
trying to coerce information out of the syntax of the a verbal construction
(finite verb + participles), information which isn't there and cannot be

The sequence information if it exists at all in this context is in the
semantic structure not in the syntax.