[b-greek] Re: EIS in Acts 2:39

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 19:33:56 EST

At 11:47 PM +0100 3/6/02, Iver Larsen wrote:
>> I don't disagree with anything substantive Iver has said on this question;
>> I only want to clarify/expand one little item about the phrase
>> TOIS MAKRAN:
>>
>> At 9:31 AM +0100 3/6/02, Iver Larsen wrote:
>> >3) PASIN TOIS EIS MAKRAN (TOPON/CRONON?) - all the (people) (who
>> are) up to
>> >a far away (place/time?)
>>
>> It's quite true that adverbial expressions can, as here, be
>> substantivized,
>> also true that such substantivized adverbial expressions can, as here, be
>> elliptical, i.e. implicitly contain elements that are usually not made
>> explicit. The implicit elements here, I think (in angular brackets) are:
>> PASIN TOIS EIS MAKRAN <hODON OUSIN> -- the participle of EIMI is usually
>> implicit in such expressions, and when the adverbial expression includes a
>> feminine adjective such as MAKRAN here, one may usually expect that to
>> imply a feminine noun, in this instance hODON, "way," "journey,"
>> "road." At
>> any rate, with the feminine MAKRAN one could NOT expect a masculine
>> noun-form such as TOPON or CRONON to be implicit.
>
>Does MAKRAN ever occur in any other form? I know it does not in the GNT, but
>it may do so in other Hellenistic texts. I can see that it may have derived
>from an adjective with an implied feminine word such as hODOS.
>Because it seemed to be a fixed form, I took it as an indeclinable adverb,
>not a feminine adjective, but I think you are right that if there was an
>implied word it ought to be a feminine noun.

I don't have any resources showing any other common form, although LSJ
points to the neuter sg. MAKRON and the neuter pl. MAKRA very occasionally
used in the adverbial sense. LSJ also indicates that hODOS is the only noun
commonly found with MAKRAN. Certainly usage of MAKRAN as adverb without an
explicit hODON is very old; there are also other feminine adjectival forms
with a form of hODOS implicit, e.g. TAUTHi.