[b-greek] Re: Self-contained Greek workbook

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 10:43:36 EST

At 9:16 AM -0500 3/6/02, Erik Westwig wrote:
>Hi Bryan,
>
>I saw on the B-Greek List that you've been using Athenaze to study Attic
>Greek. I had been teaching myself Koine for about a year, when I decided
>(primary on a recommendation by Carl Conrad to another poster that I found
>in the B-Greek archives) to take a "break" and study Attic Greek for a
>while. Mostly by chance, I ended up with a copy of Athenaze, and have
>worked through about half of Book I. For the most part, I really like it.
>I've seen many people criticize it because it is too easy, but I think if it
>were any more difficult, I wouldn't be able to work through it on my own.
>
>Anyway, my point in writing all this to is to ask you a few questions:
>
>1. Have you come across any materials or list groups (similar to B-Greek)
>for this text? Since B-Greek is for Biblical Greek questions, I feel a
>little funny asking Attic Greek questions on the list.

There are several on-line sites offering or giving URLs for resources. I
have my own at http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/grk300.html for a
tutorial in Biblical Greek that I used to teach for many years to students
who'd already taken a year of Attic Greek; I have another at
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/moregrk.html that I originally
prepared for students wanting to keep their Greek alive over a vacation
period.

Other sites I'd recommend are:
        Rod Decker's site: http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm
        Mark Goodacre's site: http://www.ntgateway.com/greek/
        Micheal Palmer's site: http://www.greek-language.com/
There are others as well, and these will give you overlapping links. I
think you'll find info on these also regarding e-lists that may be helpful,
such as Classics-L, NTGr

What I offer by way of response is by no means exhaustive, but you're
likely to find links to most of the others through these.

Finally, although (properly speaking) our focus on b-greek is Biblical and
Patristic Greek, nevertheless we do have questions raised here occasionally
on Attic and even Homeric Greek grammar and constructions, and we haven't
squelched them (as we are more likely to squelch inquiries that are likely
to gore somebody's ox).

>2. Are there any other "support" materials you use because you are teaching
>yourself as opposed to using a teacher.

There are some at my site as well as at Rod Decker's site listed above;
others will no doubt have some other responses that should be helpful.

>3. Have you found any useful summaries of the differences between Attic
>Greek and Koine?

There's a good on-line summary of the differences by Jay Treat at U.Penn.
with clear indication of his sources (you should be able to read the Greek
as Greek if you have SPIonic installed--and that's one font that most
Greek-geeks really ought to have installed in their systems):
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~jtreat/koine/classical.html