[b-greek] RE: 1 Cor. 11:24-25

From: Rob Matlack (united_by_truth@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 11:08:21 EST

Tony, thanks for the Web site address giving information on the cups at
Passover.

However, I did not see any comments concerning the Greek text

> 24 KAI EUCARISTHSAS EKLASE KAI EIPE LABETE FAGETE TOUTO MOU ESTI
> TO SWMA TO
> hUPER hUMWN KLWMENON TOUTO POIEITE EIS THN EMHN ANAMNHSIN 25
> hWSAUTWS KAI TO
> POTHRION META TO DEIPNHSAI LEGWN TOUTO TO POTHRION hH KAINH
> DIAQHKH ESTIN EN
> TW EMWi hAIMATI TOUTO POIEITE hOSAKIS AN PINHTE EIS THN EMHN ANAMNHSIN

Perhaps my previous post was unclear. The question is this: Is there any
grammatical support for the idea that the bread was broken after supper?
Thanks in advance for any comments.

> Is the prepositional phrase META TO DEIPNHSAI in v 25 related to
> TO POTHRION
> or to hWSAUTWS? In other words did He, in a similar manner to the
> way He had
> taken the bread, take the cup, the cup which happened to be the cup that
> came after the meal, or as He had taken the bread after the meal
> He so also
> after the meal took the cup? It seems to me most natural to take it the
> first way with META TO DEIPNHSAI as related to TO POTHRION. The word order
> seems to support this. Taken just from this passage, if taken in this way,
> this would allow for the bread to be broken at the beginning of the meal,
> would it not?

Rob Matlack united_by_truth@yahoo.com
Minneapolis, KS
"I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ
alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on
its behalf."--Blaise Pascal