[b-greek] RE: 1 Tim. 4:8a

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 03:11:02 EST

> Shouldn't GAR also develops or explains the focused proposition of the
> previous
> sentence? For a proposition always has the focus.
>
> Moon

I think this is a good observation and certainly worth looking into. I
assume you understand proposition as a semantic term like I do. It is
roughly equivalent to the grammatical clause, and therefore there may be one
or more propositions in a sentence.
There are examples of S1 S2 GAR where S1 is the main clause and S2 is a
parenthetical clause, and then GAR can explain the proposition in S1. Then I
expect you would say that the GAR is this case explains the focused
proposition.

Whether this will work all the time, I am not sure. I'll think about, but so
far it looks promising.

Thanks,
Iver