[b-greek] Re: Ephesians 4:26

From: Manolis Nikolaou (aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 12:37:11 EST

> > > ORGIZESQE KAI MH hAMARTANETE -- Ephesians 4:26
> > >
> > > I have two questions on this phrase, with the second one being the
> > > primary one. The answer to the seond question, however, hinges on
> > > a person's answer to the first.
> > >
> > > (1) Should ORGIZESQE be taken as a command -- "Be angry!" or
> > > should it be taken as a permissive imperative? It seems to me that
> > > grammatically it can be taken either way and that one's theology will
> > > determine the answer given.
> > >
> > > (2) If ORGIZESQE is taken as a command, is the following a
> > > grammatically possible interpretation: "Be angry! Stop this
> > > continuing sin (of not being angry)!"? Does the Greek grammar and
> > > context allow (or support?) this interpretation?
> >
> > > Elijah Yoder
> > > Harrisonville, PA
> > > elijahyoder@characterlink.net
> >

> > "ORGIZESQE KAI MH AMARTANETE. O hHLIOS MH EPIDUETW EPI TWi PARORGISMWi
> > hUMWN, MHDE DIDETE TOPON TWi DIABOLWi."
> >
> > Apparently, "ORGIZESQE" couldn't be taken as a command in this case. I
> > think a more normal structure in Greek would be "ORGIZOMENOI MH
> > AMARTANETE": "Even when (occasionally) you get angry, try not to sin.".

> > However, we must have in mind that participial structures have begun to be
> > replaced by more analytical ones, in Paul's times.
> >-----------------------------------------------
>
> Dear Manolis,
> I am enjoying your posts. Thanks. Would you mind explaning the last
> statement?
> Are commands more analytical than participial clauses?
>
> Moon
> Moon R. Jung
> Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

Dear Moon,

I'm really happy for enjoying you with my posts. However, before being
ironical, you should have taken into consideration the fact that Greek is
my mother tongue: since KOINH, from which modern Greek is derived, is not
to me a "foreign" tongue the way it is to you, let me assume that its
vocabulary, grammar and syntax are much more familiar to me than they are
to you, no?

Now. Unless you try to be more specific and make clear whether you
disagree or not (and why) with my assumption that "ORGIZESQE KAI MH
AMARTANETE" is equal to "ORGIZOMENOI MH AMARTANETE", I'm afraid I can't
give a satisfactory answer to the question of yours. However, I haven't
said that "commands are more analytical than participial clauses", but
that structures like "ORGIZESQE KAI MH AMARTANETE" (instead of the much
more clear "ORGIZOMENOI MH AMARTANETE") should be interpreted as a result
of the gradual replacement of the participial structures in later Greek by
more analytical equivalents.

Well, dear Moon, I hope I've managed to entertain you for once more.

Regards,
Manolis Nikolaou
Greece