[b-greek] Re: [OT] fonts and copyright (was: Teaching Greek on Blackboard)

From: Daniel Riaņo (danielrr@eresmas.net)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 13:07:51 EST

<x-flowed>

andDave Willis wrote:

>i really doubt that mappings can be under copyright - it would be
>absurd.

Thanks, that is my thoughts, too. It is true that an intelligent
mapping is a very important value for a family of fonts (in practice,
it turned out that *that* was the most important value!) but since
there is only a certain number of reasonable font mappings in a 255
(-32) ASCII grid it seems unreasonable to conceive that a specific
font mapping can be copyrighted: The number of theoretically possible
combinations for the Greek letters and diacritics is indeed huge, but
it would be pointless to map lower case alpha to any other key
position but "a" (97), beta to "b" (98), ktl. I'd just like to be
sure: and the pont of all that is (since some ist members may wonder
why are we are dealing with such matters on B-Greek): wouldn't it be
nice to have one or two freeware Greek fonts (BM, PS and TT) with the
mapping of the most standarized families of fonts? Agreed, in few
years Unicode will be standard, but there is plenty of time ahead
before that happens.