[b-greek] Re: Romans 1:16

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 22:29:27 EST

on 4/4/02 7:17 PM, Glen L Naftaniel wrote:

> I am trying to better understand

ROM. 1:16 OU GAR EPAISCUNOMAI TO EUAGGELION, DUNAMIS GAR QEOU ESTIN EIS
SWTHRIAN PANTI TWi PISTEUONTI, IOUDAIWi TE PRWTON KAI hELLHNI.

> I have always thought that EUANGELION was the subject. Why is
> "EUANGELION" in the Accusative? Is "DUNAMIS" the subject? Is the
> subject in "EPAISCHUNOMAI"? And lastly what is the antecedent of
> "ESTIN"? Thank you in advance.
>
> God bless,
> Glen Naftaniel

Glen,

You will note that EPAISCUNOMAI is a first person singular, so how could
EUAGGELION be the subject? The subject is Paul. The second clause might be
analyzed ESTIN --> DUNAMIS QEOU, with the subject being the inflected 3rd
pers sing inflection of ESTIN. The antecedent of ESTIN is EUAGGELION.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew