[b-greek] Re: Luke 24:49

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 08:10:43 EDT

At 11:17 PM -0500 4/6/02, David Bielby wrote:
>I've been looking into the figurative useage of Kathizw in Lu 24:49...and
>Acts 1:8. I'm curious if anyone knows of any work that has been done on
>this word and it's useage in the OT/NT...along with synonyms? I haven't
>been able to find much in my limited resources.

While I find KAQISATE in Lk 24:49 (the risen Christ's command to the
disciples/apostles at his ascension), I don't find the verb in Acts 1:8 at
all (1:4 says that the risen Christ at his ascenscion PARHGGEILEN AUTOIS
APO hIEROSOLUMWN MH CWRIZESQAI ALLA PERIMENEIN THN EPAGGELIAN TOU PATROS
hHN HKOUSATE MOU.

BDAG notes this sense of KAQIZW in Thucydides, in the LXX, in Josephus; the
verb also appears in Acts 18:11 in this sense with an acc. of time.
KAQHMAI, and KAQEZOMAI are also used in this sense. My own suspicion is
that this Jewish-Greek usage derives from the similar use of the Hebrew
verb YASHAV.